General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Game Review: Battle Worlds: Kronos for iPad 3 and Newer Review
      #47761 - 02/27/15 08:59 PM

Battle Worlds: Kronos is a solid turn-based strategy game that matches the desktop versions feature-for-feature; including price.

There's a phrase being bandied about by iOS developers these days: Core Gamers. Based on the wide variety of games and pricing models being used in the same sentence as this phrase, I'm inclined to believe that most of them don't have any idea what it means. A core gamer is halfway between casual and hardcore. This particular gamer tends to enjoy gaming as a dedicated form of recreation, or even as a hobby. This is unlike a casual gamer, who tends to game in bite-sized chunks or on-the-go, and enjoys games that don't require hours to learn/play. Because this type of gamer tends to spend quite a bit more on games than their casual counterparts, it is often the target demographic; which explains why publishers want to identify their products as fitting in this category. In truth, there are relatively few games for core gamers on the App Store, which is why its important to bring attention to those few that bravely attempt to bring PC quality gaming to iOS. Which brings us to Battle Worlds: Kronos.

Battle Worlds: Kronos is a desktop quality turn-based strategy game for iOS, lovingly crafted for actual core gamers. Think of it as a turn-based version of Command and Conquer. Expand your base, build units, fight the enemy, achieve objective. This time, however, you can take your time, plan your moves, organize your units, and employ tactics; instead of frantically clicking/scrolling/clicking until your upper lip is sweaty. If you're a real time strategy gamer, I'd like to apologize for that characterization and to advise you that this game is probably not for you any more than real time chess would be for the rest of us. This is a contemplative game, that rewards thoughtful strategy rather than reflexes. There a 31 total land/sea/air units, each with distinctive abilities and uses. To be successful, a combined arms approach is best as you can expect the AI to do the same. surround your target, focus fire on it, then move on to the next unit.

Battle Worlds: Kronos contains both a massive single player component and a robust multiplayer one. For you solo players, expect about 50 hours of gameplay from the campaigns alone. When you finish those, you can dive into both the official and the user-created skirmish maps. If you prefer to play with others instead of yourself, you're in luck because BW:K features cross-platform asynchronous online multiplayer.

When it was released, Battle Worlds: Kronos had some game-stopping bugs that really impacted its enjoyment. The recent patch, however, has made the game much more stable, at least on my iPad Air and iPad Mini 2. Because of this, I can easily recommend it not only to core gamers, but also to anybody (casual or otherwise) looking for a desktop quality turn-based strategy game.

Graphics

Looking at the difference between the iPad version and the desktop versions is a stark reminder how far tablets need to go before they can match the graphical chutzpah of even their weakest desktop counterparts. The game still looks good, however. In particular, the units and buildings are razor sharp and the interface is clean and efficient, but I'd sure like to see it get a bit of a facelift now that I know how the other half lives.

Sound

The music is the typical rousing soundtrack that you may or may not enjoy. It's well-done, however, which is about all we can ask for as tastes vary so widely. The sound effects are pretty minimal, but this doesn't seem to detract from the game too much, probably due to it's turn-based design.

Conclusion

Whether or not you consider yourself a core gamer, if you log your gaming time in hours rather than minutes, Battle Worlds: Kronos is clearly targeted at you. Or, if you, like me, are a desktop gaming expatriate looking to reproduce some of that deep, rich gaming that is so hard to find on the App Store, look no further than BW:K. Be forewarned, however, it is also priced like a desktop game so prepare for sticker shock if you're used to getting your mobile games for pocket change.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 3.5 - Decent graphics, but I can't help wondering how hard it would have been to bring the desktop graphics to mobile for a turn-based strategy game.
Sound: - 3 - Serviceable, but nothing to write home about.
Controls: - 5 - A solid interface that is both powerful and intuitive.
Gameplay: - 5 - Well worth the price of admission, considering the amount of single-player content and the robust multiplayer component.

Playing Hints and Tips:

Enemy units don't awaken until you trigger them by moving too close. Exploit this by amassing your units on the edge of a zone, and then take them out one-by-one.

App Facts:
Developer: King Art Games
Release Date: February 12, 2015
Price: $16.99
Buy App: Battle Worlds: Kronos

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our full list of iPhone/iPod touch game and app reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-game-reviews.htm

Check out our other iPad game, app and book reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-game-reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 426 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2868

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage