General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Reach79 Case for iPhone 6 Plus Review
      #47950 - 04/17/15 02:59 PM

The Reach79 case for iPhone 6 Plus significantly boosts the signal strength of your device, and provides substantial drop protection in a lightweight package. The one-piece construction of the Reach79 allows for easy installation/removal, and the case fits perfectly. Once installed, it will approximately double the thickness of your device, but will add very little to its width and length.

Features and Quality

Like the iPhone 6 version that I previously reviewed, the iPhone 6 Plus version will noticeably improve your signal strength. Where you previously had 2 bars, you will probably see 3 (I say probably because an increase in signal strength does not always translate into a visible change in your device's display). More importantly, however, where you used to see 1 bar or no service, you will now most likely be able to place and receive calls. In an attempt to recreate the whimsical hi-jinx of the Folger's Coffee commercials from the 60's ("We've secretly replaced the fine coffee they normally serve with Folger's Crystals..."), I replaced the Reach 79 case I bought for my wife with an ordinary case. Within an hour, she was complaining that she had no service in our home (previously dubbed The Cone Of Silence). Yes, I know, this is all anecdotal evidence, but for those of you who are still skeptical, The Reach79 Case has been independently verified to work as described at CTIA Certified labs; the same labs that certify the devices themselves. Reach 79 accomplishes this with its 4 patents, so don't go looking for a cheap knockoff competitor; you will be disappointed. An additional benefit of this case is the potential improvement in your device's battery life. The transceiver within your phone is engineered to reduce sending power as much as possible if the reception is good. If the reception is bad, however, the signal strength has to be boosted. Additionally, any packets corrupted in transmission due to a poor signal must be retransmitted. Both of these things can have a significant impact on your battery life. A bonus perk is that a reduction in signal strength reduces the SAR value of your device, which is a measurement of the human body's exposure to radiation. Please note, however, that at this time, Reach79 currently works with AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, but does not work with Sprint.

As with the iPhone 6 version, the Reach79 is built with a drop-rating of MIL-STD 810G (multiple 6 meter drops onto plywood-covered concrete), which means you won't have to sacrifice drop-protection to get better service. As for moisture, all buttons are covered, however, everything else is open and exposed, so this is not a case for a wet environment, or even a damp one.

Style

The Reach79 is available in black. Its lines are clean and rounded, giving it a profession-al, understated look. The back is distinctive, however, thanks to a grid that reveals what appears to be a block of gold metal underneath. This is actually the proprietary antenna, but allowing it to be visible through the case gives it a subtle, yet eye-catching look. It also serves to remind you that there's more to the Reach79 than meets the eye.

Summary
There's nothing on the market right now that does what the Reach79 can do (at least that I could find). If you live/work/play in poor service areas, you would most likely immediately notice a difference; I sure did. Just remember that it does NOT work with Sprint's network.

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 5
What's Hot: Boosts the signal strength of your device. MIL-STD 810G rated drop protection. Lightweight.
What's Not: Does not work with Sprint.
Price: $59.99
Web site: Reach79

Reviewed by: Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our iPhone Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------
-----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1463 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4310

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage