General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Poetic Cases Revolution for iPad Mini 4 Review
      #49552 - 07/07/16 05:55 PM

Poetic's Revolution case for iPad Mini 4 is kind of an odd beast. It takes the less-traveled middle ground between a minimalist product and a rugged one so well that I'm not sure if it's an over-engineered daily-use case or an under-engineered rugged one. On the one hand, it's slim, light, and adds very little weight to your device. On the other hand, it offers an integrated screen protector, covered buttons, and a protective flap over the lightning port yet leaves the home button and camera entirely exposed. In the end, I suppose it's not necessary to define it; only to describe it.

The Revolution installs easily by peeling back the TPU skin from the polycarbonate frame. Poetic has clearly worked hard to build it to spec because, once installed, it's very difficult to see how it comes apart. I also like their choice of materials. In particular, their choice to use TPU instead of silicone means that it won't stretch out over time, or collect lint the way silicone can.

The Revolution feels quite sturdy, and I'm reasonably certain that it could withstand most daily abuse and even small drops. Unfortunately, it doesn't ship with a drop rating so I can't be sure without testing it on my own device; something that I have done in the past, but never intentionally. It's important to note that drop ratings can't always be trusted. There is no governing body or certification agency that oversees these tests so we must trust that manufacturers are being forthright in their use. And, since I am unaware of any product that comes with a warranty that will replace your damaged device, it's always best to err on the side of caution even when drop ratings are provided.

For some, the screen protector will be a welcome feature, but not for all. The extra protection these covers provide always come with a usability tradeoff, as there is often a significant amount of space between the protector and the device's screen. Unfortunately, that space is present in the Revolution, which makes input a bit less than effortless. Additionally, this screen protector (as well as the covered buttons and Lightning Port) suggests that the Revolution is waterproof, or at least water-resistant. This is not the case due to the absence of any moisture protection for the Home Button or the rear camera. To be fair, Poetic does not state that the Revolution is water-resistant, nor do they even imply it. It... just... looks like it would be.

The Poetic Revolution comes in black, blue, white, and pink.

Summary
Although the intended role of Poetic's Revolution confused me a bit, that doesn't mean that it's not a good case; as long as you know its limitations. If you need a lightweight, inexpensive daily use case that provides better than average impact protection, and includes an integrated screen cover, the Revolution is for you.

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 3.5
What's Hot: Integrated screen protector. Slim and lightweight. Provides bump/scuff and likely drop protection. Inexpensive.
What's Not: Space between screen protector and device makes input somewhat cumbersome. Minimal protection from moisture.
Price: $29.95

Reviewed by: Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our iPhone Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

---

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 910 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2458

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage