MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
AYDIN

Reged: 12/24/03
PIM / long files / e-mails / bookmarks
      #7518 - 12/25/03 04:09 PM

Hi. I am trying to decide between Palm Tungsten T3 and Dell Axim X3i. I plan to buy a PDA (my first ever, so I am not yet sure of all the possibilities) for the following uses in order of importance:

(1) PIM: time management, contact database, etc.

(2) Viewing Adobe, Word, Excel and HTML files (some quite long and involved, such as 40-page academic papers; no complicated graphics, e.g. a face book)

(3) Checking e-mail on the road (e.g. at airports)

(4) Surfing the Web on the road

I am willing to forego (3) and (4), which is why I am OK with either one of the models above. [Can they be later expanded for WiFi use?]

Now my questions with regard to each one of my uses:

(1) Ease of PIM use seems to be a matter of taste; there are many people who are quite happy on either side of the fence [Palm OS versus Pocket PC]. Is it fair to say though that Palm still holds an upper hand on user-friendliness? I am a Windows user, but I gather from other posts that either of these operating systems for PDAs would be equally non-familiar to me. So, which one is easier to learn and to operate for a person with no background with PDAs?

(2) How important is the large screen of T3 for this use? I am guessing the large size coupled with a landscape view would make T3 unbeatable for this purpose. But, being so unfamiliar with PDAs, I just cannot evaluate the difference in convenience. [Btw, I assume both Palm OS and Pocket PC can handle pdf, doc, xls and html files; so no compatibility issues with neither OS, right?]

(3) I think I may want to check e-mail at an airport or a hotel lobby only if I have to, and only if there is no exorbitant charge for it. What is the current situation? Is WiFi offered free of charge in public places or businesses? I really don't know anything about wireless Internet. Another issue which is marginally important for me is Outlook compatibility. I do not currently use Outlook at all (because my workplace has a special in-house e-mail program). But, if and when I switch to using Outlook, would Palm restrict me in any way? In terms of PIM use, how important is it that I use the same e-mail program (e.g. Outlook) on both my PC and PDA?

(4) Can I export all my IE bookmarks to T3 (WebPro)? X3i (IE) should give me no trouble on this, right? How different is WebPro from IE? I am not afraid so much from a new learning curve, but from lack of product quality. Is WebPro at least as good as IE?

Thanks for all the help. This is a great site!

AYDIN the

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AYDIN

Re: PIM / long files / e-mails / bookmarks [Re: AYDIN]
      #7519 - 12/25/03 04:14 PM

PS. One more question on T3 versus X3: How do their battery lives compare?

For T3, I have been seeing conflicting information. T3 review on this site does not quote a certain number (of hours) for "regular" uses. Regular use for me would be strictly PIM and (pdf, doc, html) file viewing / editing. I don't remember what it was for X3, but more straight information seems to be available for X3.

Happy holidays,

AYDIN the

AYDIN

#7597 - 12/30/03 01:27 PM

HELP! ANYBODY?

AYDIN

#7668 - 01/03/04 02:49 PM

WHY NO RESPONSE?

I posted these questions on the Christmas day, the calendar ticked to another year and here I am still waiting for a response. Even an incomplete one..

A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2662

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage