Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
robkcc

Reged: 04/03/04
PDA-Phone: Anextek SP230
      #9736 - 04/03/04 08:02 AM

Hi!
I have seen many PDA phones in pdabuyersguides (and also other sites) but none have featured or mentioned the Anextek SP230.
It has WinCE running at 400Mhz. Phone is tri-band. Good size, smaller and more compact than the O2 XDAs. Pretty good battery life.
Just wonder why it is not popular. Any other users out there?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: PDA-Phone: Anextek SP230 [Re: robkcc]
      #9757 - 04/03/04 07:51 PM

None of the US carriers offer it. . . The only major importer I'm aware of that offers it is Expansys ($785 US). Hopefully it will become more available here in the US.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

robkcc

Re: PDA-Phone: Anextek SP230 [Re: LisaG]
      #9824 - 04/06/04 10:39 AM

There is a very comprehensive review on the SP230 in http://www.pocketpcreviews.net/reviews/022004/anextek2.htm

I have been using one for 2 months.Reception is good. Pocket PC features is same as any others like iPaq etc. the SD card slot is great. Only minus I found is that the volume on the speaker phone is too soft. Costs me RM2300 (US$600) in Penang, Malaysia.

Any other users out there? Maybe you have ideas on improve performance, features etc.

equus0400

Reged: 06/18/04
Loc: Milpitas,CA
Re: PDA-Phone: Anextek SP230 [Re: ]
      #12262 - 06/18/04 03:13 PM

I just had the chance to use the AT&TW version of that called Audiovox 4100. It was very good. I really enjoyed the time(two weeks) I spent in using it, and was sad to return it ONLY due to dropped calls as GSM is not good here YET.I did not have the issue of sound..they must have fixed it in the newer shipments.I did install everykind of third party software in it and not once did it ever give me that deer in the head light look!!!Wow,what a difference it makes from the PPC 02 to PPC 03!!. I just was not able to get good GSM coverage.
oops..I forgot to mention it does not have the flip-keyboard. You have to use the Virtual Keyboard!!!. AT&TW has been selling them since this Tuesday..June.14.2004

--------------------
I thaw a putty tat..I did..I did

Edited by equus0400 (06/18/04 04:06 PM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: PDA-Phone: Anextek SP230 [Re: equus0400]
      #12306 - 06/19/04 01:52 PM

Very cool, equus! I just played with one at our local AT&T store (it was the manager's, they only got one in for sale that's being held for someone). It's quite small and reasonably fast too. The manager said that he'd had his for a week and it tended to hang during calls requiring a soft reset. Sounds like yours behaved better, other than poor reception. Compared to the other phones in the store (Nokias, Treo 600) the PPC4100 did have weaker reception: 1 bar vs. the other phones' 3 bars.

If one is a heavy Pocket PC user, it might be hard to get used to a unit that has no application buttons and no d-pad!

I'm so surprised and disappointed that the AT&T version doesn't have the keypad flip-- it's such a good idea (adds screen protection and easier dialing). That flip really would've helped differentiate the model!

For those who are interested in buying it, it supports both US GSM bands (850 and 1900 MHz) and 1800MHz (commonly used in Asia) but not the 900MHz band used in Europe.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

robkcc

Re: PDA-Phone: Anextek SP230 [Re: LisaG]
      #12320 - 06/19/04 08:12 PM

Hi Lisa,
I have been using one since Feb this year. Perfectly happy with it except the low volume speaker. The model sold in Asia has GSM 900MHz, 1800MHz and 1900MHz with GPRS Class B/Class10.

The flipkey looks great, but adds bulk to the unit. Still prefers the touch keys.

Checking the www.anextex.com site there were a couple of software updates for sound, but was unable to download it. Anybody tried it yet?

robkcc

equus0400

#12344 - 06/20/04 01:30 PM

If the volume is the issue either in the speakerphone mode or just plain low volume while in a call...that is a hardware issue..many of those are being returned and Audiovox has been replacing them here in US.Now I donot know how the warranty and or replacement works by you. I will see if I can locate those files for you.

--------------------

equus0400

#12346 - 06/20/04 01:36 PM

here's the good link for you. You have to use ActiveSync with these.
http://www.anextek.com/downloads.htm

--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#12354 - 06/20/04 03:05 PM

Hi robkcc,
Folks in the US I've spoken with who got the AnexTek branded unit from importers couldn't get GPRS working. Were you able to do so? Any tricks involved?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11222

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage