Socket Communications today unveiled its new handheld mobile computer specifically designed to make essential business mobile productivity solutions possible and affordable. The company's extensive line of mobile data collection and networking connectivity peripherals combined with the new handheld make Socket a one-stop supplier of mobile computing hardware systems.
The new Socket SoMo 650 is built to address the market that exists between consumer-oriented PDAs and heavy duty industrial devices. The sleek, durable device uses a touch screen and is based on the Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system to ensure the highest level of mobile application compatibility and gives workers a familiar computing environment. The SoMo 650 handheld computer's flexible design enables ease of customization and integration with Socket and third party peripherals and information systems - extending the lifecycle of the product and reducing total cost of ownership. The company will launch a new extended, multi-year service warranty on the device as well as on many of its higher-end peripheral products.
Socket Mobile plans to leverage more than 100 value added reseller partners to target current and prospective customers seeking cost effective mobile computing solutions to deliver applications for inventory control, sales force automation, patient tracking, asset management and merchandising. The company's primary focus will be on the healthcare, automotive, life sciences and retail markets in which workers have a need for efficient data collection, real-time information management and applications in the field.
Features and Pricing
The SoMo 650 includes the following features and applications:
* Durable form factor designed specifically to withstand multiple drops from one meter onto vinyl-covered concrete
* True business class 802.11b/g Wi-Fi technology provides fast roaming for superior in-building / campus environments and VoIP applications
* Bluetooth(tm) 2.0 radio with enhanced data rate; one of the most complete libraries of Bluetooth profiles for maximum support of third party peripherals
* Reinforced CompactFlash and SDIO slots that enable expandability and provide better protection for peripheral devices
* More stable platform and a three to five year lifecycle to meet business needs and lower total cost of ownership
* 128MB SDRAM and 256MB Flash memory to enable users to work with multiple applications
* Intel processor operating at 624MHz to ensure better application responsiveness
* High-capacity, rechargeable lithium-ion battery to power the most demanding applications; an optional extended life battery is also available
* Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system
The SoMo 650 is the first in a family of handheld computing products Socket will rollout in 2007 and is available through Socket distribution channels, resellers and vertical industry partners in the U.S. as well as selected countries in Asia Pacific and Europe with an MSRP of $648. Socket is on track to ship the SoMo 650 during the second quarter, starting with limited production in April and mass production in May. The handheld computer will be available in various packaged configurations that may include a wall charger, docking cradle and carrying case.