Research In Motion today launched BlackBerry App World, an on-device application store for BlackBerry smartphones. BlackBerry users can download the BlackBerry App World application by visiting www.blackberry.com/appworld from their smartphone. Here is more info about the BlackBerry App World:
BlackBerry App World is immediately available to BlackBerry smartphone users in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada, with more country launches to follow. At launch, BlackBerry App World brings together a broad mix of personal and business applications for users to discover.
BlackBerry App World is designed to automatically present the relevant catalog of applications available for a user?s specific BlackBerry smartphone model. Users can conveniently access BlackBerry App World over both Wi-Fi and cellular networks.
BlackBerry App World features currently include:
- Front Page Carousel - BlackBerry App World showcases several applications on its front page carousel, making it easy for users to browse through a select number of featured applications. Featured applications will vary from week to week, helping users discover new applications for practically every aspect of life.
- Top Downloads ? The ?Top Downloads? area on BlackBerry App World lists applications that are the most downloaded.
- Categories ? BlackBerry App World will feature a variety of application categories. Current categories include:
-- Entertainment -- Games -- Maps and Navigation -- Music and Video -- News and Weather -- Personal Finance and Banking -- Personal Health and Wellness -- Productivity and Utilities -- Professional and Business -- Reference and eBooks -- Social Networking and Sharing -- Sports and Recreation -- Travel
- Search ? BlackBerry App World includes a keyword search capability.
- Reviews ? Applications on BlackBerry App World can be reviewed by users and those reviews are reflected in star ratings. Users can easily access and read reviews from other users, see screenshots and read a description of each application before they download it.
- Recommend ? BlackBerry App World users can recommend applications to other people through email, PIN, SMS message or BlackBerry Messenger.
- Application Storage ? BlackBerry App World includes a folder called My World, which can keep track of applications the user has downloaded. It is a personal storage space that allows users to uninstall and re-install applications and to easily transfer purchased applications to a new BlackBerry smartphone.
BlackBerry App World supports both free and for-purchase applications. RIM expects approximately 1,000 applications to be posted by partners on BlackBerry App World this week, including applications from popular brands such as:
o Bloomberg o ClearChannel (iheartradio) o Gameloft o Hotel Reservation Service o LIVESTRONG.COM o Lonely Planet o MTV Networks
o New York Times o Pandora o salesforce.com o Shazam o Slacker o Viigo o WorldMate