The Nintendo DS isn't the only system that features some great titles coming out in January. Sony's PSP system will get 5 new titles highlighted by the release of "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas" and Namco-Bandai's "Legend of Heroes III: Song of the Ocean." It's also looking like the oft-delayed "Pirates!" game is also going to finally see a release. Maybe.
SID MEIER'S PIRATES!
Release Date: January 23, 2007 Publisher: UFO Interactive Rating: E10+ for Everyone +10 Price: $39.99
In Sid Meier's Pirates!, a strategy/adventure game, players take the role of a Pirate Captain in the 17th century Caribbean amassing fortune and fame in an attempt to seize a rightful place as one of the most revered and feared pirates in history. Players test their skills as a sea captain exploring the high seas and dueling in land and sea battles in a richly detailed 3D world. Additional features for the PSP? system include wireless Ad-Hoc multiplayer for up to four players, widescreen graphics, new treasure hunts and more.
Sail the Caribbean, marauding all on the high seas or ally your ship and crew as a privateer in search of riches ? the life you choose is up to you. Face dogged enemies, raid unsuspecting villages, woo fair maidens, avoid capture or dig for buried treasure. Discover what it takes to become one of the most famous pirates in history!
Release Date: January 31, 2007 Publisher: Ubisoft Rating: T for Teen Price: $39.99
Former heavyweight champ Rocky Balboa steps out of retirement and back into the ring, pitting himself against a new rival. While his passion and spirit are reignited, an older Balboa must consider the mental and physical risks of facing off against a younger, faster opponent. Does Rocky have enough fight left in him to go the distance?
- Take on Mason ?The Line? Dixon in Story Mode: In order to defeat the champ you will have to recall your past glory. Fight fights within the fight by flashing back to iconic Rocky fights. As you relive those moment your skills will gradually return.
- ?Historic? Fights: All the fights from all the Rocky movies are available for play. Fight Drago in Moscow or Apollo in Philadelphia.
- Match Any Two Rocky Boxers in any Rocky arena: Exhibition mode allows you to play our fun ?what-if? scenarios. Match Mason Dixon against Apollo in Moscow or Cluber Lang vs. Drago in Vegas.
- True to Rocky?s Fighting Style: Slug it out in true Rocky style with dramatic movements and huge turnaround punches. Immersive camera angles make you feel the drama of a comeback, knock down or count out.
- Multiplayer: Challenge a friend. Match any two fighters in any arena.
Release Date: January 24, 2007 Publisher: Namco-Bandai Rating: E10+ for Everyone +10 Price: $39.99
Be ready to embark on a brand new journey to the world of The Legend of Heroes! The creators of the legendary ?Ys,? ?Brandish,? and ?Sorcerian? series brings this brand new adventure to the palm of your hand on PlayStation Portable system! Be Forte, a young musician who sets off on an adventure to discover a long forgotten song of mysterious power left behind by a legendary composer.
In this world full of new adventures, you will be able to form a group of wandering musicians, acquire pets that assist you in battle, and interact with over 100 different beautifully illustrated characters. Venture between the vast terrain of the nefarious Numeros Empire and a haunting parallel world that exist beyond. The fate of the two worlds rests upon your shoulders!
- Classic RPG Experience From the legendary Creators: Created by the developers of the legendary ?Ys,? ?Brandish,? and ?Sorcerian ?series.
- Over 50 hours of new adventure: Builds on the rich universe familiar to fans of the first two Legend of Heroes games, while the standalone story keeps the game accessible to those who are new to the series.
- Over 100 characters: Over 100 beautifully illustrated characters to interact with.
- Easy to pick up and play: A brand new story line and classic RPG style game play lets any RPG fan pick up and play the game with ease.
- Easy to put down and pick up: Players can save at any point in the game, except for during battles and events.
- Unique pet system: Players can train their pet and feed it items to change the game play strategy!
Release Date: January 31, 2007 Publisher: O~3 Entertainment Rating: E for Everyone Price: $39.99
Players arrange blocks of different colors into chains that are exploded by 2x2 same colored blocks. Eliminating the blocks creates level-ups and the player can gather a variety of power-ups by creating long chains. Level-ups introduce new elements into visually amazing background landscapes.
Game mode defines the rules of the game. In architect mode, the player tries to build objectives as fast as possible, and in artist mode, the goal is to play for survival and high score. In artist mode, the scenery is built according to how gamers play "Puzzle Scape," while the architect mode has pre-defined objectives.
There are four different themes: cells, flowers, machines and dreams. Both single player-modes can be played in cooperation or in Duel mode over wireless connection. "Puzzle Scape" also features up to eight -player multiplayer fun in Bomb Run mode, where each player plays the same scene trying to be the first to destroy enough blocks to win the game. In addition, "Puzzle Scape" enables players to send the demo of the game to a friend.
- Four unique themes with 40 scenes: World of "Puzzle Scape" features four different themes of interactive evolutionary backgrounds from cells to dream like landscapes.
- Two single-player challenges: Work your way through themes and scenes, level by level of addictive block busting fun in time and goal oriented Architect mode and score-oriented free play Artist mode.
- Two dual-player modes: Play co-op with your friend as Architect or Artist or compete against each other in Duel mode via wireless functionality.
- Two-to-eight player fun with Bomb Run: Fast paced multi-player fun via wireless against two-to-eight players.
- Save the achievement: Each scene can be saved for later viewing and can be used as a PSP system's wallpaper.
- Game sharing: A demo of the game can be sent to a friend over wireless functionality.
Release Date: January 31, 2007 Publisher: Ubisoft Rating: T for Teen Price: $39.99
In a story paralleling the next-generation console versions of the game, the PSP version will feature exclusive new content and all-new characters as Las Vegas finds itself in chaos and Rainbow operatives are forced to defend one of the most recognizable cities in the world. The future of Las Vegas and global security is in your hands ? will you be able to save Vegas?
- New Team, New Location ? Two new Rainbow operatives enter the impending doom that is Las Vegas as their console brethren, Keller, Park and Walter, simultaneously work against the clock to save ?Sin City.?
- As Brian Armstrong, work as a field operative and assault expert, taking down tangos
- As Shawn Rivers, use your sniper and long-range shooting skills to pick off terrorists from above, one at a time.
- Tag-Team Gameplay ? In single-player mode, play as both a field operative and sniper as you battle to protect the innocent from carnage.
- Observe - Plan - Assault ? Use tactical planning to maneuver through Vegas environments while utilizing high-tech equipment like snake cams to strategically ?tag? terrorists prior to entering a room.
- Take Cover ? When the action heats up, switch to third-person view while taking cover, giving you time to examine the situation before making your move.
- Tailored Control System ? Shoot your way out of relentless gun battles utilizing a tailored control system built specifically for the PSP system.
- Player Rewards ? Build up your stats to unlock exclusive Rainbow Six Vegas content, including concept art and the feverish Terrorist Hunt mode.
- Terrorist Hunt Mode ? Hone your skills in Terrorist Hunt mode, where your objective is simple ? kill the terrorists. Enter specific points of single-player maps and down the spawning terrorists one at a time.
- Multiplayer ? Take the fight to five of your closest friends via wireless (Ad Hoc) oronline play (Infrastructure) in Survival and Team Survival multiplayer modes, while exploring six classic Rainbow Six maps.