It looks like the folks at Amazon are taking the heated eBook reader war seriously. They've just posted news of update 2.5 for the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX that adds PDF zooming and pan as well as collections support (we assume this means folder organization). Also very interesting is the injection of social networking into the reading experience with the ability to include book passages in Twitter and Facebook posts.
If only Amazon would add ePub support. Hello Amazon, are you listening?
The update will roll to the masses via the Kindle's update feature in late May.
Here's a list of the coming enhancements:
* Collections: Organize your books and documents into one or more collections.
* PDF Pan and Zoom: Zoom into PDFs and pan around to easily view small print and detailed tables or graphics.
* Password Protection: Password protect your Kindle when you're not using it.
* More Fonts & Improved Clarity: Enjoy two new larger font sizes and sharper fonts for an even more comfortable reading experience.
* Facebook & Twitter Posts: Share book passages with friends on Facebook and Twitter directly from your Kindle.
* Popular Highlights: See what the Kindle community thinks are the most interesting passages in the books you're reading.