Verizon Wireless will begin pushing Android 2.3, Gingerbread, to the DROID X by Motorola on Friday. Enhancements include a download manager app, a refreshed user interface, app grouping and more. Here is more info:
This update provides several improvements for your device, as well as upgrading to the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) Operating System (OS). Enhancements include:
- Download Manager App: New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
- App and Power Management Details: Under Manage Applications, a new ?Running? tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each. - Multi-Touch Key-Chording: New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality: New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
- New User Interface and Color Scheme: New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Dock Icons: Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
- App Groups: New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups, in addition to 3 default groups: All Apps, Recent and Downloaded.
- Emergent Groups and Smart Contacts: Based on usage, participant and addressee suggestions are made in Calendar entries, emails and text messages. Create groups instantly based on the context of what you?re doing. For example, quickly create a group based on a suggestion Calendar invitee list or the group of people with whom you?re texting.
- Updated Calendar Options: ? Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling. ? Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders. ? Easy conference dialing ? simply dial and automatically enter a conference code directly from your Calendar.
+ Geo-Tagging for Camera applications
+ Calendar application: ? Calendar appointments created on the device with Exchange Active Sync will correctly display on the device. ? Update calendar appointments with Exchange Active Sync without deleting them. ? Successfully sync the Inbox and Calendar when using Exchange Active Sync.
+ Email application: ? Improved contact syncing from multiple accounts. ? Email pushes now work correctly when using Exchange Active Sync. ? Exchange Active Sync account setup will accurately present server option. ? Forwarded emails send properly while using Exchange Active Sync. ? POP3/IMAP emails now show the correct date stamp.
+ Successfully edit Contacts without being directed to the home screen.
+ Autofocus Camera feature has been improved for use in low-light conditions.