MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
PHONE LAPTOP & TABLET GAMING GADGETS iPHONE & iPAD VIDEOS

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
deichenlaub

Reged: 10/02/05
Need a PPC with CF
      #21292 - 10/03/05 12:10 AM

I loved my Dell Axim V5 - until it stopped working. At 3 years old, I can't see trying to repair it. I had lots of programs loaded, but mostly, I used the Axim for two things:

Calendar / appointment / task functions, and
GPS (Mapapolis with a CF Holux receiver).

I don't think the VGA screen is for me. The extra power draw and the extra cost are not very attractive. I wouldn't try to use the PPC as a laptop replacement, because I have a really cool lappy. But I do like to have lots of memory - who knows what I'll be doing with this thing in 3 years? I also think Bluetooth will be important, because many of the new GPS receivers are Bluetooth. WiFi would be nice, although I'm not exactly sure what I would use it for besides synching to my lappy without a cable. I'm also thinking it's probably better to get Windows Mobile 5.0, since I tend to use these things until they die.

I was looking around, and it seems that the two most obvious choices are Dell X50 and HP Ipaq HX2490.

I was leaning towards the Ipaq because it seems to draw less power, the battery might last longer. (I learned the importance of a long-lasting battery when the power outlet on my rental car didn't work.) Also, it has more available RAM. (The installed RAM is the same, but more of it is available to me.) Does anybody have any comments? Does this make any sense?

How about the display of the Ipaq -vs- the Dell? It seems that whenever navigation is hardest, the sun is at a bad angle for seeing the display. A better display means I could see the map better on my GPS while driving.

Can anybody compare the audio with the built-in speaker? I prefer to use the GPS without powered speakers or a radio interface. The Axim V5 had pretty lousy volume. At the highest volume, the distortion was so bad I couldn't understand what Mapapolis was saying. How is the audio on the V50 and 2490?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Need a PPC with CF [Re: deichenlaub]
      #21340 - 10/09/05 11:47 PM

For battery life and rugged design, I'd choose the iPAQ hx2490. The iPAQ has a nicer screen as well, though like all transflective displays, both are harder to read in direct sunlight than indoors.

If you really need lots of power and don't have an outlet or working car charger for the PDA handy, you might want to consider a spare battery (for either model you can get one).

The speaker on both seems similar to me, and they are a tad louder than the X5's.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1790

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage