MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
PHONE LAPTOP & TABLET GAMING GADGETS iPHONE & iPAD VIDEOS

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
willmason

Reged: 10/12/05
Question about PDA's
      #21368 - 10/12/05 03:37 PM

I'm looking to buy a PDA. I would like to be able to put data on it directly from any computer, rather than one on which the synchronisation program is installed. Can you do this on any PDA? Is there one with a USB slot so that I can use my memory stick? Or can you connect by USB to a PC to appear as an extra drive, like a USB stick.

Also is there a mobile version of Powerpoint so that I can edit presentations on the move?

I'm thinking of the HP Ipaq 2490 as I need Bluetooth and I would like better battery life and WM5 to protect my data.

Thanks very much to anyone who can help with these.

Will

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neo979
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/11/05
Re: Question about PDA's [Re: willmason]
      #21371 - 10/12/05 05:30 PM

Softick offers a program called Card Export II for both Palm and PocketPC which allows you to use either type of PDA as an external USB drive with no additional drivers on the desktop computer (for Palms, I think it only works with SD/expansion memory, because the internal memory can only hold two types of files*).

PDAs with USB host capability are very rare. No Palms have this ability. A few PocketPCs do, but I'm not sure which ones.

My understanding is that Windows Mobile 5 can play back PowerPoint presentations, but no version of Windows Mobile has software that can edit PowerPoint presentations yet. I think you can use Documents To Go on Palms to edit PowerPoint presentations.

*Okay, technically 3 types, but PQAs are completely useless under OS5.

rhroney

Reged: 11/12/05
Re: Question about PDA's [Re: neo979]
      #21687 - 11/12/05 04:25 PM

the Palm Tungsten T5 can function as an external drive on any PC with XP (maybe 2000/98); however, you can only move and store data, not interact with it

there are some battery charging challenges

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3636

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage