MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
PHONE LAPTOP & TABLET GAMING GADGETS iPHONE & iPAD VIDEOS

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
drobi

Reged: 10/17/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada
VGA Screen or OS 5
      #21434 - 10/18/05 06:14 PM

I am wanting to buy a PDA and am torn between the HP 2490, HP 2790 or the HP4700.

Do you think the VGA screen should take priority over the OS5 operating system? I can upgrade the HP4700 in the Spring of 2006 for another $50?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: VGA Screen or OS 5 [Re: drobi]
      #21441 - 10/18/05 10:34 PM

That's a tough one. Having the latest OS is generally very important. VGA is quite nice though. But the drawback is you really don't get to see that much more on screen compared to a QVGA device, even though it has 4x the resolution. Fonts look nicer on VGA devices and photos look even smoother. I used an iPAQ 4700 for a year but recently switched to the iPAQ hx2790 (review of that model coming soon!) and don't feel like I've lost a lot.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

drobi

Reged: 10/17/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: VGA Screen or OS 5 [Re: LisaG]
      #21446 - 10/18/05 11:18 PM

I have also been advised not to buy a PDA with the new operating system for at least 3-6 monthes, until the bugs are worked out. Would you agree?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: VGA Screen or OS 5 [Re: drobi]
      #21450 - 10/19/05 05:13 AM

I've been using WM5 PDAs for 2.5 months and haven't encountered any terrible bugs and most of my 3rd party software is compatible.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

RonDavis

Reged: 11/02/05
Re: VGA Screen or OS 5 [Re: LisaG]
      #21579 - 11/02/05 02:39 PM

You state that you went from the hp4705 to the hp2790. I'd like to learn more about why you made that change. If I had an hp4705 with that remarkable VGA screen I don't think I could give it up for anything. Also, the hp2790 screen seems to "glow" which is annoying to me. But you like that screen compared to the 4705?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: VGA Screen or OS 5 [Re: RonDavis]
      #21585 - 11/02/05 07:52 PM

So here's the deal. I never thought I'd go from a VGA to a QVGA device but the problem is, without hacks (selection of stable VGA hacks for WM5 isn't strong yet)you just don't see much more on screen with a VGA device. I was hoping WM5 would offer some changes in that department, but it didn't. Seeing one or two more lines in IE just isn't enough of a difference for me. That said, screen quality and font rendering is better on VGA devices, esp. the iPAQ hx4700 which has the best VGA screen among Pocket PCs. And VGA is certainly better for videos. The hx4700 has a superior display to the iPAQ hx2790 since it's high quality VGA but the hx2790's is excellent by QVGA standards.

Things I like about the hx2790: smaller, very durable design, bright contrasty display,normal d-pad (I like to play games), leftie-friendly strong integrated flip cover (I thus don't use a case which would add more bulk), biometric security (I carry sensitive info and hate entering passwords- fingerprint is much easier and I've enrolled my better half's fingerprint as well). Also, since I must stay at the leading edge, I have to use a WM5 device. You wouldn't want the Editor in Chief to be clueless about the current OS on the market .

They're both excellent devices and it wasn't an easy choice. The iPAQ hx4700 display is tops and battery life is fantastic for a VGA PPC. It's also very stable.

I do have a Dell Axim X51v as well, though I find I use my iPAQ more. Better BT profiles and software on the iPAQ and it's a bit more stable, at least until Dell comes out with a ROM update.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5800

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage