Samsung today introduced the Galaxy S8 and S8+, the anticipated new generation in Samsung's Galaxy S line of flagship smartphones. Here's more info:
Available in 5.8-inch Galaxy S8 and 6.2-inch Galaxy S8+, the Infinity Display and bezel-less design form a smooth, continuous surface with no buttons or harsh angles. The result is a truly immersive viewing experience without distractions and makes multi-tasking more convenient. The Galaxy S8's compact design enables comfortable one-handed operation and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 on both the front and back for durability and a high-quality finish.
In addition to the new design innovations, Samsung continues to deliver cutting-edge technology including an advanced camera, enhanced performance and more to the devices that users love, including:
* Premium Camera: The Galaxy S8 and S8+ are equipped with an advanced 8MP F1.7 Smart autofocus front camera and 12MP F1.7 Dual Pixel rear camera for the best low-light, zoom and anti-blur photos with enhanced image processing.
* Powerful Performance: Packing powerful performance and connectivity, the Galaxy S8 and S8+ feature the industry's first 10nm processor, enabling heightened speed and efficiency. It is also gigabit LTE and gigabit Wi-Fi ready with support for up to 1 Gbps so users can quickly download files, regardless of the file size.
* Robust Entertainment: As the world's first mobile device certified by the UHD Alliance as MOBILE HDR PREMIUM, Galaxy S8 and S8+ let you see the same vibrant colors and contrasts that the filmmakers intended while watching your favorite shows. In addition, the Galaxy S8 and S8+ offer next-level gaming experiences with vivid and superior graphic technology, as well as Game Pack, featuring top game titles, including select titles supported by the Vulkan API.
* Global Standard in Mobile Security: The Galaxy S8 and S8+ are built on Samsung Knox, a defense-grade security platform. In addition, the Galaxy S8 and S8+ will offer a wide selection of biometric technologies including a fingerprint scanner, iris scanner and facial recognition so users can select a secure biometric authentication method that works best for them.
The Galaxy S8 and S8+ will also come with the foundational Galaxy features that our customers have come to love, including:
* IP68 water and dust resistance * MicroSD support up to 256GB * Always-on display * Fast and wireless charging capabilities
Bixby is an intelligent interface that will help users get more out of their phone. With the new Bixby button, you will be able to conveniently access Bixby and navigate through services and apps with simple voice, touch, vision and text commands. At launch, Bixby's Voice function will integrate with several Samsung native apps and features including Camera, Contacts, Gallery, Messages and Settings, with the plan to expand its capabilities to include more Samsung and third-party apps in the near future. Contextual awareness capabilities enable Bixby to offer personalized help based on what it continues to learn about the user's interests, situation and location.
The Galaxy S8 and S8+ unlock the new Gear VR with Controller, powered by Oculus. Enabling convenient one-handed control and navigation, the controller provides better motion interaction when accessing interactive VR content. The Galaxy S8 and S8+ will also connect to the new Gear 360 to create 4K 360-degree videos and 15MP photos.
Leveraging the processing power of the Galaxy S8 and S8+ for enhanced productivity, Samsung DeX is a unique solution that transforms your smartphone into a desktop by providing a secure desktop-like experience. With Samsung DeX, users can easily display and edit data from their phone, making working from a smartphone faster and smarter.
The Galaxy S8 and S8+ also come with the enhanced Samsung Health service, expanding one of Samsung's most widely used services with 60 million monthly active users and 11 million daily active users worldwide. Samsung Health includes tele-health (U.S.-only), personal coaching, social capabilities that redefine traditional health and fitness.
Users can leave their physical wallet behind with Samsung Pay, turning their Galaxy S8 and S8+ into a digital wallet they can use almost anywhere they'd use a credit or debit card. With more than 870 worldwide banking partnerships, Samsung Pay has processed more than 240 million transactions to date.
New high-performance earphones tuned by AKG by Harman, offering uncompromised audio for unbeatable sound quality, will come as an in-box accessory. These earphones will have a comfortable hybrid canal fit for better noise cancellation and will be made from anti-tangle metal-fabric material.
Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ specs:
Here's Samsung's intro video for the new Galaxy S8 phones:
The Galaxy S8 and S8+ will be available starting on April 21, and will be offered in a rich color palette including Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue and Maple Gold. For more info visit samsung.com
Pricing from U.S. carriers:
The Galaxy S8 will have a $30 down payment and cost $30/month for 24 months on the T-Mobile Equipment Installment Plan (FRP: $750). JUMP! On Demand customers can snag the device for $0 down and just $33/month.
The S8+ will be available for $130 down and $30/month for 24 months on EIP (FRP: $850), with the same down payment and monthly payment amount for JUMP! On Demand customers.
MetroPCS customers can also get in on the action – the Galaxy S8 will be available starting April 21 for $729.
Samsung Galaxy S8 preorders start at 12:01am ET on March 30 and both Galaxy S8 models will be available in Verizon stores and online on April 21. Pricing for the Galaxy S8 is $30 per month for 24 months ($720 retail price) and pricing for the Galaxy S8+ is $35 per month for 24 months ($840 retail price). Verizon customers can also enjoy limited trade-in offers and exclusive bundles to allow them to make the most of their new Galaxy S8.
These new smartphones will be available in stores, at sprint.com and 1-800-Sprint1 on April 21. GS8 has a 5.8” display while GS8+ has a 6.2” display and both devices will be available in Midnight Black, Arctic Silver and Orchid Gray. Lease GS8 for $31.25 per month for 18 months or lease GS8+ for $35.42 per month for 18 months. For a limited time, pre-order Samsung Galaxy S8 with Sprint and upgrade any time after 12 lease payments to the latest Galaxy smartphone.